Betchton History
BETCHTON is a considerable township on the Trent and Mersey canal, in the parish of Sandbach, and consists of some scattered houses and the hamlet of Hassall Green; it is 2 miles east from Sandbach, about 3 from Alsager station on the North Staffordshire railway and 164 from London, in the Crewe division of the county, Nantwich hundred, petty sessional division of Northwich (Sandbach section) and Congleton union and county court district. At Hassall Green is an iron church, erected in 1883, serving as a chapel of ease to Christ Church, Wheelock. There is also a primitive Methodist chapel at Malkins Bank, erected in 1859, and a Wesleyan chapel at Hassall Green, erected in 1858. In the township are extensive salt and chemical works. Roger William Wilbraham esq. of Delamere House, Northwich, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The area is 2,651 acres of land and 14 of water; rateable value, £9,880; the population in 1891 was 813.
Wesleyan School (mixed), Hassall Green, erected in 1858 & enlarged in 1871 & 1895 for 180 children; average attendance, 101.