Staithes History

STAITHES, a village in the parishes of Hinderwell and Easington, with a station on the Scarborough, Whitby and Saltburn section of the North Eastern Railway from Saltburn to Whitby, 1 ¾ miles north-west from Hinderwell and 3 miles east-north-east from Easington, is picturesquely situated on a creek running up between the cliff called Colburn or Cowbar Nab, on the north, and Penny Nab cliff on the south. Here is a coastguard station and also a lifeboat station with oar boat and life-saving apparatus. The old National school has been licensed for divine worship, and services are held in it by the rector of Hinderwell. The Catholic church, erected in 1885 at the expense of the Right Rev. Mgr. Thomas Witham, of Lartington Hall, and dedicated to Our Lady star of the sea, is a building of stone, consisting of chancel and nave, and has a number of stained windows: there are 150 sittings: adjoining is a good residence for the priest. Here is a Congregational chapel, erected in 1823, with 350 sittings, also Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. The inhabitants are principally engaged in fishing, in which an extensive business is carried on. The celebrated circumnavigator, Captain Cook, was apprenticed in this village to a grocer, but only remained a few months, when he left and went to sea. The population is returned with Hinderwell.

Public Elementary school, built in 1879, for 100 boys, 90 girls & 170 infants; average attendance, 95 boys, 85 girls & 160 infants.

Kelly's Directory of the North and East Ridings of Yorkshire (1913)